Monday, August 08, 2005

"Sixteen Candles" morally reprehensible.

Since a week or two ago I slagged off on "E.T." and really enjoyed myself, I figure I'm going to start regularly revisiting films that were loved by all in my youth and see if they still hold up. Today, actually for the first time ever, I watched "Sixteen Candles". I can say in all honesty that it is a giant piece of shit. See, it's all about this spoiled brat who falls in love with a guy who trades his girlfriend for a pair of panties so that she can get date-raped by a minor. Then that same Porsche-driving asshole is somehow presented to the audience as "the perfect boyfriend". There's not a single likeable character in the film, except maybe the chain-smoking grandmother. I can't wait for the sequel (and yes, it's actually been proposed), where Anthony Michael Hall comes back as a middle-aged, miserable pervert who can't get off without getting some stranger totally plowed, and Molly Ringwald sits by the pool all day nursing scotch while her husband bangs the secretary because "it seemed like a good idea at the time." Fuck this movie and everyone in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home